In The Beginning
Growing up, my mother made all of our meals from scratch. As a wife and mother, I fed my family the same way, using fresh wholesome ingredients, no chemical additives, and less sodium. The problem was, each year the world became a busier place and it took a great deal of my time. I often wished that someone would offer convenient but nutritious handmade comfort food for these occasions when I wasn't able to do it myself.
There was never a greater need than the year mom was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I found myself constantly purchasing unhealthy fast food as a trade-off for the extra time it gave me to spend with her. As a tribute to my mother, on April 24th 2007 my daughter Melisa, her husband Jeremy and I opened Portions Distinctive Meals and More, Inc. to provide many of the delicious time-honoured meals I grew up on.
The Evolution of Newton’s No Gluten at Portions
When Melisa and Jeremy’s son Thomas was born, it became obvious that he had life-threatening food allergies, just as Melisa and I do. However, Melisa had difficulty finding gluten-free breads and baked goods that were enjoyable to eat. Customers expressed the same dissatisfaction with the majority of mass produced products. With dedication and determination, Melisa and Jeremy spent countless hours developing a special line of gluten-free breads, buns and baking that actually taste as good as they look.
This was the beginning of the Newton’s No Gluten Product Line. Since then, Jeremy has developed a number of recipes that meet additional dietary restrictions. Our own experiences make us sensitive to our customers’ diverse dietary needs, and we recognize the importance of having products that cater to a variety of food intolerances. So, in addition to being gluten-free, our breads and baked goods are all peanut-free, and a number of them area also dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, and even rice-free. Not only can you purchase Newton’s No Gluten products at our Portions store at 340 Woodlawn Road West, but also at a growing number of other retailers throughout southern Ontario.
Where We Are Today
In April of 2010, we expanded to our dedicated gluten and peanut-free bakery and kitchen at 340 Woodlawn Road West in Guelph, setting ourselves apart in so many ways:
- We use only pure tested gluten-free flours
- We make and bake everything by hand in small batches
- Our equipment and ovens are dedicated gluten and peanut-free
- We've developed a special bread that is wheat, gluten, dairy, egg, rice, and soy-free
- We strongly believe in making only products that taste as good as, or better than, traditional wheat flour-based products
- We offer a number of meals that are suitable for individuals who are celiac, diabetic, or following renal failure diets
- Our meals are microwave or oven ready for your convenience
- We carry local, antibiotic, phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, hormone, and gluten-free meats
- We make every effort to try products before bringing them into the store to ensure that you are only getting the best gluten-free foods available
This makes Portions Distinctive Meals and More the premier safe haven for all of your gluten-free and multi-allergy needs. But don't take our word for it. Check our testimonial section and read what our customers think, or visit us on Saturdays to sample our breads for yourself.